Monday, February 13, 2012

ZZZZZ

Here's the deal.  I liked Smash.  I'll watch it every week.  I'll cry when the director comes between McPhee and her hottie boyfriend.  I'll be "shocked" when Christian Borle and his assistant get it on.  However, I'm a little stuck.  I just don't believe the central issue of the show.  Megan Hilty versus Katherine "please let me take a nap" McPhee.  THERE IS NO QUESTION TO BE ANSWERED.  I'm no casting director, but you can hire me at Telsey tomorrow if you can't figure this one out.






One of my favorite parts of the episode is the final song battle at the end.  Megan Hilty is practically having an aneurysm she wants the part so bad.  Katherine McPhee is pretty much giving me the inner monologue of, "I guess I want it...If you want me to...I don't know...I'm just so sleepy."  SO SLEEPY.


http://www.hulu.com/watch/326840/smash-let-me-be-your-star


Please watch the number and note how Katherine actually falls asleep at the very end.  GET HER SOME CAFFEINE PEOPLE.  And don't even get me started on her rendition of "Beautiful."  I feel so sorry for the random casting directors of "Guys and Dolls" and "How to Succeed..." across America who are going to hear thousands of inappropriate renditions of this.  Also, TREE ARMS.  What is with her weird tree arms?  Maybe she didn't realize as her eyes were closed about 90% of the song. (I will admit Megan Hilty does close her eyes too, but it's more of a Lea Michele I'm being super emotional tactic as opposed to narcolepsy.  Though I still hate when anyone closes their eyes when singing).  




Also, is McPhee's character equity?  How did she get this audition?  Does she have an agent?  Where did she do summer stock?  Give me some backstory people.  The sad non-equity actor inside me is freaking out.


That's enough hatin' for now.  I'm going to go watch "Let Me Be Your Star" 25 more times.  IT'S LIKE A DRUG. A delicious high belting drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment